Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wins This Week

I received a book win unannounced in Monday's mail along with a red baseball cap embroidered with the book's title. I did a google search but haven't been able to figure out what contest it's from. The book is The Mighty Queens of Freeville (A Mother, a Daughter, and the Town That Raised Them) by Amy Dickinson ©2009. It's the true story of Amy, a syndicated advice columnist who took Ann Landers' place in many newspapers. I personally had never heard of her before this book. Amy's family has lived in the town of Freeville, N.Y. (pop. 458) for the past 200 years. Along with her mother, she has aunts, a sister, and many other relatives there and when her own marriage falls apart, that's where she goes to pick up the pieces and raise her own daughter. Even when jobs take her to Washington, D.C. and Chicago, she always finds her way back home. The story is about her family of mostly women and how strong and supportive they are of each other. The book is only 225 pages and was a quick read. It skipped around a lot in the telling but it was easy to follow.
#################################################

I had two other wins so far this week. I was one of the winners of 2 CDs from the Urban Music Scene. They are Brian Courtney Wilson's "Just Love" and "Best of Gospel Superfest". And I won Charles Grodin's memoir, How I Got to Be Whoever It Is I Am from Drey's Library.

No comments: