Thursday, April 16, 2009

Books I've read this week

Besides reading, I also like to do jigsaw puzzles and actually have quite a collection of older ones. So this week instead of reading during all my free time I put together 3, 500-piece puzzles that my sister had given me. I did, however, read one book and it was a perfect choice for someone like me who likes to read a lot. It was Lorna Landvik's Angry Housewifes Eating Bon Bons ©2003. Funny title, huh? It's about a group of 5 women who all live on the same cul-de-sac and how they become friends and form a book club as an excuse to get together. After one of their husbands makes a joke about them being a bunch of angry housewives who get together and eat bon bons, they decide to take that as the name of their club. The group inludes Faith, transplanted from Texas to cold Minnesota, who can't admit a past that includes an unknown father and drunken mother so she makes one up, even to her husband; Merit, the beautiful, shy pastor's daughter and doctor's wife who is secretly abused by her husband; Audrey, the sex queen who likes to dress like a teenager, who finds out sex isn't enough to hold a husband; Kari, a wonderful mother figure with no child of her own; and Slip, the social activist, who's never afraid to speak her own mind. The book follows the group from the sixties through the nineties, through marriages and divorce, births and deaths, new careers and shattered dreams, each chapter written from the viewpoint of one of the ladies. It was very easy to relate to the characters and I was sad when the story ended.

No comments: