Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Been Keepin' Busy

I know I've been remiss in posting this past week. With Jim off work we've been running around a little more than normal and any nice days we usually spend working around the acreage. It's been raining so often (again today) that it's hard to get things like mowing or gardening done. My box garden is doing so well I really want to put in another. I don't have room in the present one for peppers and I have to have some of those. I could also put in more carrots and later plantings of radishes and lettuce so it doesn't all mature at once. I would love to have sweet corn but with so many raccoons around, it just doesn't make sense. They have a nasty habit of either breaking off the stalks or ruining the ears by taking 2-3 bites out of each one. There are always lots of local vendors with fresh corn but I hate paying their prices.
The tower and the old gate in my garden will support the pole beans I've planted. From left to right I have radishes, carrots (just coming up), onions, peas, tomatoes, and lettuce, then the beans in the back. When the radishes are done I can plant something else there.
I've still been working on trimming brush. I cut out a forsysthia that was about 10 years old and had never really bloomed. I REALLY need to weed my front flower bed or maybe just completely re-do it. It has old-fashioned orange poppies trying to take over it.
###############################################
Speaking of running around Jim took me to Red Lobster for Mother's Day on Saturday. I had the new Mediterranean grilled shrimp and chicken and it was really good. It came with roasted red potato chunks, fresh asparagus, and of course, their famous cheesy biscuits......yummy! My mom was invited to my niece's for a Mother's Day cookout. We stopped by to see them and give Mom her gifts. I took her a bouquet of lilacs and flowering quince from my yard, 3 books, and a birdhouse gourd I had decorated with violets. Now 2 of my nieces want birdhouses! Guess I'd better get busy and paint some more.

No comments: