Thursday, July 9, 2009

Garden Update

My garden is under attack! The pole beans grew and grew and I was beginning to wonder if they’d ever produce anything, but this week the buds appeared. However, at the same time, most of their leaves are gone! Plants have to have leaves in order to make energy to produce their seed and evidently the deer have decided that bean leaves are mighty tasty. They have acres of soybeans they could eat, but no, they have to raid my garden. They’ve also eaten about half the leaf lettuce and taken a few bites of the tomato plants. I read somewhere that you could hang bars of soap in your evergreens to stop deer from munching on them so I took a bar and cut it in half and slipped each piece in an old sock and hung them in the garden. It’s too soon to know if it’s helped. If anyone has an idea to keep the deer away, I’d like to hear it.

I thought the peas were done but I see there are new blooms coming on the plants. They like cool weather so last week was probably beneficial to them. If the weather goes back into ‘oven’ mode, I may just pull them and give the tomatoes more room. Too soon to know how the carrots are doing but the tops look good. Also, one of the 3 sunflowers that I transplanted is starting to bloom. I think they're so pretty and the birds will love the seed. I have lots of blooms and some small green peppers on my 9 plants which are on the other side of the house. Either the deer don’t like them or they haven’t found them yet. I can dice and freeze them if too many come on at the same time.

No comments: