Monday, July 27, 2009

A Peek into my Week

I already posted that I had jury duty 2 days this week. Friday I opened the Multi-purpose Center at 8 and worked until 4:30. Anne, who is my sister and the director, had the WIC (Women, Infant and Children) appointments the day before and that makes a very long day for her. She came in about 8:45 but none of the other volunteers showed up. I was glad it was kind of a slow day. Some days it can get pretty hectic with people shopping, the phone ringing, handling donations and sometimes the food pantry, too. For lunch, Anne usually buys us a take-out sandwich which I eat at my desk. If I'm lucky I get my coffee drank before it's cold. I enjoy the work but I would enjoy it a LOT more if it paid something. If I'm lucky I find a shirt, a book, or maybe a purse that I like but they don't put gas in the car or pay the bills.
t has been a strange summer, weather-wise. June was a steaming scorcher most of the time and July may be one of the coolest on record. It has been great not to have the AC running all the time and being able to sleep with the windows open. I’ll take fresh air anytime over a house that closed up. It’s been raining quite a bit, too, which plays hell with racing schedules. This Saturday evening was the first time that we’ve been able to make it to a figure 8 race and we attended the one at the Brooklyn Raceway. Our son Jason and his wife sponsor a race series that takes place at several central Iowa tracks and he also takes photos at the races and sells them. The Brooklyn racetrack has provided them with a small building to sell their photos in this year, which is really nice for them and provides better access to the fans. Jay has a blog where he posts photos, figure 8 race and other motorsport schedules, and race standings here. We hadn't seen the kids since Jim went back to work so it was nice to visit with them.

Saturday night at the races it got downright chilly. I was wearing jeans and a tee and thank goodness, I took a sweatshirt. There was a steady breeze out of the northwest and it felt really cold before the races got over at 10:30 although it was probably in the 60s. Today was a perfect day... mostly sunny, high about 80°, and no wind. We both slept in since we got home late last night (Brooklyn is almost 100 miles away), and then went to Terrible's Casino like we do most Sunday afternoons. I've been having a good month. I won a little over $200 earlier in the month and today almost $70. That's pretty good since I usually only spend about $20 - $15 that Jim gives me and $5 that's comped each week. When we left today, Jim was in first place in the daily free slot tournament with over 4800 points. We'll find out Monday morning if that holds up. First place pays $50, 2nd - $25, 3rd - $20 gas at their station, 4th - $10 gas, and 5th - free buffets. Any of those would be nice wins.

1 comment:

jeanine said...

Woo hoo - sounds like we all had a winning week :)