Thursday, March 5, 2009

Books I've read this week

We went to the flea market at the State Fairgrounds on Sunday. I was very lucky to come across a booth selling like-new paperbacks for fifty cents each and I ended up buying 7. I have read 2 already. The first one I read was The Drowning People by Richard Mason © 1999. The title is what caught my attention on this book. The book starts off in a very interesting way. “My wife of more than forty-five years shot herself yesterday afternoon. . ….. Of course, I know that she did nothing of the kind. … It was I who killed her.” Now doesn’t that get your attention? The story takes place mainly in England and is told from the viewpoint of the husband as he tells what led up to him killing his wife. A few other people die along the way and a family is seemingly cursed by insanity. It wasn’t a bad book.

The next book I read was a romance novel called An Accidental Woman © 2002 and it’s by Barbara Delinsky. It’s a follow-up to a previous book entitled Lake News which I haven’t read but you don’t need to read it to enjoy this one. The main female character, Poppy, is in a wheelchair after being injured in a snowmobile accident several years earlier. Heather, a friend of Poppy’s is arrested for a murder that took place 15 years ago in California. Everyone feels it must be a case of mistaken identity and they rally to try and clear her. The underlying story is Poppy’s involvement with Griffin, a writer who feels guilty for accidentally tipping the police off to Heather’s whereabouts. The story takes place in New Hampshire during the early spring and I really enjoyed learning all about the process of making maple syrup. The author also does a good job explaining what a paraplegic goes through in their every day life. I enjoyed the book very much.

I also bought James Patterson's 2nd Chance; Suspect by Jasmine Cresswell; Minutes to Burn by Gregg Andrew Hurwitz; Suzanne Brockmann's Gone Too Far; and The Absence of Nectar by Kathy Hepinstall.

No comments: