Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 2011



Veggie garden June 10

On today’s noon news the weatherman said we’ve had the sixth wettest June on record. The only problem is it’s been a constant wet. I’ve been lucky to have one day a week to try and keep the yard mowed but some parts of it never dry out. There is no really level place in our entire yard so the lower places are really wet. That’s why I decided to build a raised, enclosed vegetable garden a couple of years ago. This year it’s planted with peas, onions, carrots, lettuce, green beans, 3 hills of potatoes, a tomato, cabbage and broccoli. The green beans are climbers so they go up an old garden gate along one side. The peas grow up a shorter fence on another end. I also have a separate potato patch and other tomatoe plants and a large planter box with onions and radishes. I actually have a lot more tomatoes than what I planted. We have a bare place where we tore down an old shed. One day I threw out a bad tomato towards that place thinking maybe the birds would eat it. I was very surprised a few weeks later to see tomato plants coming up! I decided to let them grow and just weeded around them. I also have green peppers and grape tomato plants in pots. I can’t wait for the fresh produce! All I've had so far is radishes and green onions.

June 28, 2011


















I walked around the yard today picking up sticks which fell after the last thunderstorm. I ended up with a garden cart full. The sun is actually shining for the second consecutive day but parts of the yard are still like walking on a wet sponge. I did find and pick a handful of wild raspberries down by the old corn crib. They’ll taste good sprinkled on some ice cream later.

We are so lucky to have a swarm of bees living in an old shed wall.  I love having them around to pollinate the plants and they've never been any trouble.

********************************

Our son and his wife were here for the weekend so he could attend his 20th high school reunion. (Has it really been that long?!) Our house is tiny. His bedroom has been turned into storage and we got rid of our hide-a-bed and replaced it with a loveseat. They camp occasionally so they brought their tent and put it up in the most level place, our front yard. Unfortunately, their air mattress deflated and then it rained early Saturday morning enough that the tent leaked and they ended up inside. Saturday night, I made them a multi-layered blanket bed on the living room floor. While they were here, Jay helped his dad replace our kitchen faucet that had been leaking. The old faucet was a single-lever that was supposedly guaranteed to never leak. HA! The new one has double handles but it’s so nice to have that drip stopped. Thank you Jay!

Jay & Dianna, June 25, 2011 at class reunion






No comments: